Blog Flume

I am a multimedia designer and aspiring writer from Central Illinois who dreams of bigger things. You are entering the hub of my online world. Welcome. Make yourself at home, read some stuff, click a few things, maybe check out my online portfolio. And of course, if you enjoy your stay, please subscribe.

*NOTE* This blog occasionally contains coarse language. Please use discretion when viewing.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Where did I go wrong with Zero Dark Thirty?

Did anyone else out there not enjoy the movie Zero Dark Thirty? I rented it this weekend, and I couldn't even finish it. I was so bored an hour in when, despite reviews promising a "gripping," "tense, thrilling" story; a "masterful account" of "history's greatest manhunt for the world's most dangerous man," all I had seen was a couple of folks waterboarding a brown guy and asking a bunch of questions over and over, that I had to shut it down and call it an hour of time I would never reclaim.

Someone tell me I'm dead wrong, please, and convince me to give it a second chance because all the reviews and online conversation I can find regarding this movie consider it one of the year's greatest films.

I saw Argo and loved it--I was on the edge of my seat throughout most of it... I saw Life of Pi and it truly inspired and resonated with me--I ruminated over it for at least an hour afterward... I saw Django Unchained and it blew my freaking mind... I thought director Kathryn Bigelow's other critically acclaimed, six-time Oscar-winning film The Hurt Locker was an incredible piece of filmmaking...

What did I miss in the first hour of Zero Dark Thirty that should have made me want to keep watching and find out what makes it so great? Did I just not give it enough of my time?

Please help. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment